Wednesday, May 7, 2008

HERE!

Hey everybody!

So after a long day (day and a half? two days?) of travelling, Anissa and I have arrived safely and soundly at Alice's lovely home in Cairo. Here are some things you should know about this trip thus far:

-my style of the trip has been named "Tousled Safari." When the pictures start appearing, you'll understand.

-We slept the whole flight from Chicago to London, thank you very much. I tried to watch There Will Be Blood (aka: Will There Be Blood?) en route, but that didn't go over so well.

-I am pretty darn closed to finished with High Fidelity.

-London's Heathrow airport is just kind of gross.

-After a short walk off the plane in Cairo, we were met by our expeditor, who indeed got us through immigration, customs, and all with lightning speed. We were then passed off to our driver [and I was reminded of a great number of midnight arrivals I've made to various countries... perhaps most interesting among them were Costa Rica--where I was met by a man with a cell phone; on the other line was a woman who told me this man would be driving me 2+ hours into the jungle {in the middle of the night, mind you}, and that I should trust him. I did and all was well-- Taiwan-- similar situation, except without the jungle, but no language whatsoever-- and Mexico (I think... somewhere where I was with a friend and I sat in the front and yammered away with the driver en espaƱol while my friend sat silently in the back the duration of the drive). Anyway, these are all long stories within themselves.

The gem of tonight's drive was that the playlist of the ride included the following songs (I am not, and likely could not, make this up):
  1. "I Have Nothing" - Whitney Houston
  2. "Lady" - Kenny Rogers
  3. "I WIll Always Love You" - Whitney Houston
  4. "My Heart Will Go On" - Celine Dion
  5. "Breathe" - LeeAnn Rimes

I don't know what's more surprising, that this was the music that welcomed us to the Middle East, or that I knew the words to all of those songs [sad, but true].

Anyway, it's 2:30am, I'm stinky, and we're being picked up to tour the pyramids at 10:00am [it is an 8-hour time difference, J]. I'll post again when I can!

4 comments:

Henry said...

two whitney houston songs are on your playlist. TWO! i, for one, will not be reading any more of this blog if whitney houston keeps on making these drop-ins.

Unknown said...

I remember taking you to see Kenny Rogers when you were about 5 years old. Was that foreshadowing your trip to Egypt?

BE CAREFUL!!!
Murphy is fine....

ILY!

Melanie said...

the link from your other blog to this blog doesn't work, but i managed to find the correct url in the incorrect link and get here.
just thought you might like to know in case you have blog readers who are far less genius than i.
hope you have a great trip!
lincoln asked AGAIN why he couldn't go with you to egypt...
and he wants me to tell you that he thinks you're pretty.

Marianne said...

Yes! I want to see pictures! I hope you two are having fun!