Friday, May 23, 2008

Almost Paradise

We took our last overnight bus from Cappadocia to Cirali last night. We will be here for three nights, then have decided to forego the 14-hour-overnight-ride back to Istanbul for a one hour plane ride instead. For around $30, we think it will make a world of difference on our last couple of days.

The place we are staying here in Cirali (pronounced chi-RAH-lih) is GORGEOUS. I just finished reading my third book of the trip in a hammock outside our room, surrounded by bushes of geraniums, pink and white oleander, lemon trees, abundant bougainvilla (sp?), and a troop of hens pecking in the grass near the pool. We've opted to have dinner at the hotel during our stay here-- four-course meals with fresh seafood every night (good thing we did so much hiking in Cappadocia to make room for all this lushness).

We went out on the beach for a while this afternoon. The water is turquoise and emerald green, and the mountains literally reach all the way to the coast. It is cool and beautiful (though I was feeling a little overindulgent on sun and pide, so we called it an early afternoon).

Turkey is SO wonderful, as are the Turkish people. We noticed yesterday that we're really the only Americans we've encountered on our journies so far, though we have met a great number of smashing Brits.

Alright, I think I see them setting the tables for dinner... tomorrow we're doing a day boat cruise around the area. Should be lovedly (as long as I remember my long sleeved shirt! Unlike Anissa, my lilly-whiteness can't take the sun for hours and hours on end). Photos will be there when they get there. :)

Oh, and for some reason, Mom, youtube seems to be blocked by the entire country of Turkey. Weird. Kiss Murph for me!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

so glad to hear that you've made some wise choices in places to stay! it sounds just wonderful! only 3 1/2 days of school left. all is well with the fam. ILY and can't wait for you to get back!

Sars said...

I'm glad you're having such a good time! Your pics are marvelous. Miss you.

Unknown said...

mom-mom wants you to look for a red coral necklace and earring set that she bought/lost from the grand bazaar. she's upset about it and wants to replace it. check your utexas email for details.

Nancy said...

Do you know how jealous I am? My best traveling buddy has a bum knee and a grandbaby on the way! Who knows when we can hit the trails again! Your trip sounds wonderful.

Marianne said...

That sounds so great! My sister said Turkey was her favorite place on the planet. I can't wait until you all get back!
Miss you!